Dying mother told abortion a 'Catholic thing'
Tuesday 09 April 2013
A senior midwife told an Indian woman her baby could not be terminated as she miscarried in an Irish hospital because “it’s a Catholic thing”, an inquest has heard.
Savita Halappanavar pleaded for her baby’s heartbeat to be stopped when medics at Galway University Hospital said the foetus could not be saved, her friend Mrudula Vasealli said. She told Galway Coroner’s Court: “She said, the midwife, ‘we do not do that here dear. It’s a Catholic thing’.
“The nurses were lovely, They took good care of her. It’s the system that was wrong.”
Mrs Halappanavar, 31, died from septicaemia on 28 October last year, a week after suffering a miscarriage at 17 weeks. Her husband Praveen Halappanavar previously told an inquest that his Hindu wife asked for a termination three times before she finally delivered her dead baby daughter.
Consultant obstetrician Katherine Astbury has denied refusing a termination on the grounds that it is “a Catholic country”.
The inquest continues.
Life & Style blogs
Kanye West's Yeezy Boost trainers: All you need to know ahead of the UK launch
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...