Egg whites product linked to salmonella cases
Tuesday 16 October 2012
Bottles of liquid egg whites have been linked to seven cases of salmonella, health experts have warned.
The pasteurised product, used by bodybuilders and bakers, has since been recalled, the Health Protection Agency (HPA) said.
The infection causes diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain and fever.
Dr Bob Adak, the head of gastrointestinal diseases at the HPA said: “This egg product has been subject to a recall and so we hope that now that it is no longer in circulation that this will stop people becoming unwell. If anyone has any of this batch of product at home then they should dispose of it.
“Although there has been no increase in the number of cases of this type of salmonella over recent weeks we are still investigating whether newly identified cases might be related to this egg product.”
The L232203 batch of Free Range Liquid Egg Whites by Myprotein was recalled on October 10 by the Food Standards Agency (FSA).
The FSA are trying to trace the source of the eggs used in the product. The products were sold through the Myprotein Nutri Centre stores and website.
Life & Style blogs
Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year, says study
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...