Falls suffered by elderly cost £4.6m a day
Monday 21 June 2010
Falls among elderly people cost the NHS more than £4.6m a day, new analysis has found. About 3.4 million people over the age of 65 fall each year in the UK – or almost one in three. Almost half of all falls are among the over-80s, half of whom fall again in the following year.
Falls are a major cause of injury and death among the over-70s and account for over half of hospital admissions for accidental injury. According to research published in the British Medical Journal, this number could be cut dramatically: balance and strength training, adaptations to the home and practice in getting up quickly could cut the rate of falls by 55 per cent.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Regin: Newly uncovered malicious software snooping since 2008 'was developed by a nation state'
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
Kim Kardashian recreates iconic Jean-Paul Goude naked 'Champagne Incident' photo
Henri de Toulouse Lautrec: Google celebrates 150th anniversary of French artist's birth
- 1 Universities aren't working us hard enough, say undergraduates
- 2 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
£200 per day: Ashdown Group: Working within a business that has a high number ...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well-established and growi...
£29500 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportunit...