Falls suffered by elderly cost £4.6m a day
Monday 21 June 2010
Falls among elderly people cost the NHS more than £4.6m a day, new analysis has found. About 3.4 million people over the age of 65 fall each year in the UK – or almost one in three. Almost half of all falls are among the over-80s, half of whom fall again in the following year.
Falls are a major cause of injury and death among the over-70s and account for over half of hospital admissions for accidental injury. According to research published in the British Medical Journal, this number could be cut dramatically: balance and strength training, adaptations to the home and practice in getting up quickly could cut the rate of falls by 55 per cent.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 5C could be killed next year, and Apple’s cheap and cheerful line might die with it
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Black Friday: Best fashion deals -online and on the high-street
UK's first plus-size fashion magazine Slink hits the shelves: 'Style doesn't stop at size 8'
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: SURREY MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: What do you want to do with your career? Do yo...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This company is a leading expert in immunoassa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Development Scientist is required to join a ...