Farm worker killed by 'pig meningitis'
Saturday 13 May 2000
A pig farm worker was the first man in Britain to die from a rare bacteria carried by the animals he was caring for, it emerged yesterday.
Jackie Forrest, 30, is thought to have inhaled the Streptococcus suis bug, which causes a meningitis-type illness in pigs.
Mr Forrest had worked foreight weeks at Brecks Farm in Swillington, West Yorkshire, when he suddenly fell ill and died last August. An inquest into the tragedy on Monday is expected to be told that Mr Forrest's immune system was unable to combat the illness after the removal of his spleen following an car accident.
The labourer, from Kippax, Leeds, is thought to be only the fourth person in the world to have died from the bug.
Such is its rarity that doctors at Pontefract General Hospital, where Mr Forrest was taken for treatment, initially thought he had died from blood poisoning.
Tests by toxicology specialists have now shown he died fromS suis.
The National Farmers' Union played down fears that the disease could be transmitted with fatal consequences to other people. An NFU spokesman said: "There's a feeling that the man had reduced immunity. We don't want it blowing up so people get worried about pigs generally."
Life & Style blogs
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A nap a day could save your life
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Windows 10 automatically sends parents detailed dossier of their children's internet history and computer use
The antidote to Tinder? Majority of dating app users want relationship, rather than hook-ups, study finds
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 3 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
£28000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£22000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company's mission is to ma...
£13832 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This 5 star leisure destination on the w...
£20000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Account Manager is requ...