Faulty reflex may cause cot death
An abnormality in the reflex that stops breathing when food "goes down the wrong way" may be a cause of cot death, scientists say.
The reflex that closes the airway and triggers coughing when food enters it is vital. If co-ordination of breathing and swallowing is lost it may cause death, says a study in the Journal of Physiology.
Researchers at Macquarie University in Sydney have identified two areas of the brain that control these functions and say further work may cast light on sudden infant death syndrome.
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Follow the latest events from this Champions League fixture
Like Madonna, Sister Cristina Scuccia's video is also set in Venice
Singer says the track was 'force-fed down people's throats'
techThe original free dating app will remain the same, developers say
Endangered species spotted in a creek in the Qinling mountains
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 'catches on fire and burns man's leg after bending in his pocket'
Are you ready for Crazy Doritos, the red-hot snack food craze sweeping Mexico’s streets?
Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
What lies beneath La Perla's 60 years of luxury lingerie?
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
£60000 - £70000 Per Annum plus excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions...
£20000 - £23000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Assistant - Windows XP/7/8, Netwo...
£100 - £140 per day + Flexible with benefits: Randstad Education Group: Key St...
£100 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: This good to outstanding school...