Foreign doctors face stricter checks for work in Britain
Monday 31 December 2012
Foreign doctors face tougher checks before working in the UK following the revelation that three-quarters of medics struck off this year were trained abroad. Of the 39 doctors struck off in the year to September, 29 obtained their primary qualification from outside Britain, statistics from the General Medical Council showed.
The GMC said it would improve induction programmes and review testing systems. "We absolutely acknowledge that when it comes to the serious end of the scale, those from overseas are more likely to appear," said Niall Dickson, the GMC chief executive. "We have set about a series of reforms to address this."
In four years, 669 doctors have been struck off or suspended. Of those, 249 were British and 420 trained abroad.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Eculizumab: 'The £10m-per-patient NHS drug gave me my life back’
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
£35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is going through a period o...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This award-winning digital publishing solution...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: NON-CONTENTIOUS (0-2 PQE) - A rare opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Financial Analyst is required to join...