Foster care to be extended to the age of 21
Teenagers will be helped to stay with their foster parents until they reach 21 under plans being put to MPs this week.
MPs from all parties are expected to support an amendment to the Children and Families Bill which would fund the cost of people staying with families beyond the age of 18.
The move would help 530 teenagers in England and cost £2.6m a year – which campaigners say is a relatively small amount that would transform the lives of young people. The Government would recoup the costs, campaigners at the Fostering Network said, because fewer young people would be driven to homelessness or offending.
Currently, local authorities fund the cost of children in foster care until they reach 18. At that point, support varies across the country. In many areas, teens are forced to live by themselves at an age when others would remain at home.
Vicki Swain of the Fostering Network said: "This is a once-in-a-parliament opportunity to make a real difference."
Life & Style blogs
NHS struggling to monitor the safety and efficacy of its services outsourced to private providers
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Ben Affleck asked TV chiefs to hide slave-owning ancestry, new hacked Sony emails published by Wikileaks claim
- 3 Driving while dehydrated can be just as dangerous as drink driving, study suggests
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 One Direction: Louis Tomlinson launching his own record label, has already 'signed two acts'
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...