Fresh warning as HIV rates rise in over-50s
Wednesday 21 July 2010
HIV infection among over-50s has more than doubled in seven years.
The number of new cases recorded in England, Wales and Northern Ireland rose from 299 in 2000 to 710 in 2007, research has shown. Half were diagnosed late, increasing the risk of an early death from Aids.
Compared with younger adults carrying the virus, older people were significantly more likely to have been infected through sex with men. Older "straight" adults were more likely to acquire the virus in the UK, but there was evidence of white heterosexual men picking up the infection abroad.
The findings were published online in the journal AIDS.
Health Protection Agency data shows there are more than 83,000 people in the UK who have HIV. Study co-author Valerie Delpech, the HPA's head of HIV surveillance, said cases in over-50s accounted for only 8 per cent of new diagnoses. But she said "anybody is at risk of HIV infection if they do not use protection and practise safe sex".
Life & Style blogs
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
More than two thirds of smokers are killed by diseases caused by tobacco use, says study
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...