George Best's doctor warns women over binge drinking
Sunday 03 December 2006
George Best's surgeon yesterday warned that increasing numbers of young women risk premature death by drinking to excess. Professor Roger Williams said female drinkers are a third less resilient to the effects of alcohol than men.
"Research shows that women cannot drink as much as men. If they do, they run into serious health problems," said Professor Williams, consultant hepatologist at University College London.
Women in England and Ireland are the world's biggest binge drinkers, with one-third of 17- to 30-year-olds classed as heavy consumers. The average number of female patients with drink-related organ damage that Professor Williams treats at any one time is five. This compares with an average of one a decade ago.
Srabani Sen, chief executive of Alcohol Concern, said: "Women have achieved a large degree of equality with men, but they don't understand how to drink safely."
Life & Style blogs
Three in every four British men will be overweight by 2030, says World Health Organisation
Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Helpdesk Analyst - Devon - £20,000 ...
£35000 - £50000 per annum + generous bonus: Ashdown Group: Business Analytics ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Project Coordinator (Software Dev...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...