GPs accused of conflict of interests
Monday 01 April 2013
Doctors who take over two-thirds of the NHS budget from today will award contracts to companies they are also involved in, critics have warned.
NHS reforms will see Clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) – bodies made up of an area's GPs and other health professionals – become responsible for spending £60bn a year on commissioning health services for the NHS. The Sunday Times reported three examples where a CCG had commissioned healthcare from a company in which a board member had an interest.
Andy Burnham, the shadow Health Secretary, said: "David Cameron has created a colossal conflict of interest at the heart of the NHS."
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Regin: Newly uncovered malicious software snooping since 2008 'was developed by a nation state'
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
Kim Kardashian recreates iconic Jean-Paul Goude naked 'Champagne Incident' photo
Henri de Toulouse Lautrec: Google celebrates 150th anniversary of French artist's birth
- 1 Universities aren't working us hard enough, say undergraduates
- 2 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well-established and growi...
£29500 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportunit...
£32500 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Electronic Engineer is requi...