Great Ormond Street celebrates its first birth – after 157 years
Wednesday 23 September 2009
The mother of a cancer patient has given birth during a visit at Great Ormond Street Hospital – a first in the hospital's 157-year history.
Nicola Tyler, 32, from Canvey Island, Essex, was staying with her daughter Kelly, six, when she gave birth to baby Zac, five days early on 4 September.
Ms Tyler had been in the hospital for four days with Kelly, who was being treated for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, when she went into labour.
The famous central London hospital does not have a maternity unit so intensive care senior staff nurse Caroline Kanyanga, who is also a qualified midwife, delivered baby Zac with the help of clinical site practitioner Mike Wise and clinical nurse specialist Ailish Barry before paramedics arrived.
Ms Tyler said: "It is incredible that such a broad team of specialists helped me give birth to my beautiful baby boy and I cannot thank them enough, not just for the care they gave to Zac and I, but for what they have done for Kelly, too."
Zac stayed with his mother and sister at Great Ormond Street for four days while Kelly finished her course of treatment.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Winfo...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Senior C...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Senior A...
£29999 - £40001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A top independent...