Heroin user infected with anthrax
A heroin user in England has tested positive for anthrax following 19 similar cases in Scotland, it was announced today.
The unnamed user is the first ever recorded case of anthrax transmission through drugs in England.
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) and NHS London said the user is being treated in a London hospital.
There are similarities to the Scottish cases, suggesting the heroin - or a contaminated cutting agent mixed with it - is the source of infection, a statement from both organisations said.
HPA director Dr Brian McCloskey said: "We are working closely with NHS London to monitor the situation.
"There is no evidence of person-to-person transmission in this case and I'd like to reassure people that the risk to the general population, including close family members of the infected patient, is negligible.
"It is extremely rare for anthrax to be spread from person to person and there has been no evidence of a significant risk of airborne transmission associated with the current situation in Scotland.
"While public health investigations are ongoing, it must be assumed that all heroin in London carries the risk of anthrax contamination."
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Star Wars BB-8 droid toy is real, should be impossible
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
£7 - £8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This expanding, vibrant charity which su...
£16500 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the South East's leading...
£16819 - £21063 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£35000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In 2014, they launched the worl...