Heroin user infected with anthrax
A heroin user in England has tested positive for anthrax following 19 similar cases in Scotland, it was announced today.
The unnamed user is the first ever recorded case of anthrax transmission through drugs in England.
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) and NHS London said the user is being treated in a London hospital.
There are similarities to the Scottish cases, suggesting the heroin - or a contaminated cutting agent mixed with it - is the source of infection, a statement from both organisations said.
HPA director Dr Brian McCloskey said: "We are working closely with NHS London to monitor the situation.
"There is no evidence of person-to-person transmission in this case and I'd like to reassure people that the risk to the general population, including close family members of the infected patient, is negligible.
"It is extremely rare for anthrax to be spread from person to person and there has been no evidence of a significant risk of airborne transmission associated with the current situation in Scotland.
"While public health investigations are ongoing, it must be assumed that all heroin in London carries the risk of anthrax contamination."
Life & Style blogs
Persistent heartburn 'could be a sign of cancer', new survey warns
Losing appetite as you age? Try adding umami flavour to restore the 'joy of taste'
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Apple stopped a fingerprint scanner from appearing in Google’s Nexus 6
SAG Awards 2015: Best and worst gowns on the red carpet
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...