Holiday resort is struck by 'Aurora' stomach bug

Click to follow
Indy Lifestyle Online

It happened at sea and now it has struck on dry land. Holidaymakers at a Center Parcs resort have succumbed to a stomach bug, it was revealed yesterday.

So far 86 guests at the attraction in Warminster, Wiltshire, have been struck down, with a further 28 cases suspected. The highly-contagious bug, believed to be viral gastroenteritis, causes severe vomiting and diarrhoea for up to a week. The same bug struck down hundreds of guests on the cruise ship Aurora last November, provoking a diplomatic row between Britain and Spain.

Center Parcs is confining holidaymakers to their rooms, while staff who fall ill are sent home. All 3,500 guests are informed of the outbreak on arrival with a promise of medical help. But the company has resisted pressure to close.

One part-time worker, who did not wish to be named, said: "Holidaymakers were dropping like flies at the weekend. There were kids vomiting all over the place."

Mark Evans, Wiltshire consultant in communicable disease control, confirmed that viral gastroenteritis was suspected.

A Center Parcs spokesman said: "Closing is a consideration but at the moment it's not warranted. Environmental health officers are happy with the procedures we have put in place."

Comments