Hospice awarded patient's payout
Friday 06 August 2010
A hospice has been awarded a payout in a landmark claim over the death of one of its patients from asbestos-related lung cancer.
A judge awarded St Joseph's Hospice in Hackney, east London, more than £10,000, plus interest, against a company held liable over the death of James Wilson, who lived in a flat in Tower Hamlets.
Mr Wilson died in March 2007 of mesothelioma contracted as a result of exposure to asbestos while working for Foster Wheeler Ltd in the early 1950s at Dartford power station.
Catherine Foster, appearing on behalf of Foster Wheeler, had argued that the claim was "not covered by permitted authority" but the judge ruled the hospice was entitled to "a reasonable sum" from the company.
Life & Style blogs
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
From Topshop to Burberry, London Fashion Week spring/summer 2015: Distraction could not disguise a distinct lack of focus
Exclusive interview with Jourdan Dunn: Mother, one of the world's best-paid models and ambassador for sickle-cell disease
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...