Hospital ward staffing levels 'should be displayed daily'
A report into Stafford hospital found inadequate staffing was a factor in the poor care
The number of nurses on duty in every hospital ward should be collected daily and made publicly available to help prevent a repeat of the Mid Staffs scandal, MPs will recommend tomorrow.
The Health Select Committee said the information should be automatically collated so it could be analysed, but also suggested hospitals should look at posting the figures on wards so patients and families were aware of staff levels.
In his report into the Stafford scandal, Robert Francis QC found inadequate staffing was a significant factor in the poor care at the hospital and recommended that Trust boards should have a means of knowing whether each ward was adequately staffed.
But the committee said the Government’s approach to monitoring staffing levels was not good enough. “It cannot be done through periodic inspection or twice-yearly reporting of data,” they concluded. “Commissioners should require all their providers to collect information on staffing at ward level on a daily basis and make it available.”
Life & Style blogs
How Old Do I Look: Microsoft’s super advanced age-guessing app is terrible at guessing how old celebrities are, too
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
ZX Spectrum to return with Vega reboot
Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
- 1 Lucy Hawking: Stephen Hawking's daughter writes impassioned open letter to Katie Hopkins about rights of disabled people
- 2 #NotGuilty: Second Oxford student writes of brutal rape by two men who then threw her in a bin as part of campaign against victim blaming
- 3 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 4 Oxygen-starved 'dead zones' with no marine life up to 100-miles long discovered in the Atlantic Ocean
- 5 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
£28000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Digital Marketing Cons...
£16640 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Assistant Stores Keeper is r...
£16000 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportunit...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Developer required to join a bu...