HRT could lead to male Pill
Tuesday 23 March 2004
Hormone replacement therapy for women could hold the key to creating a male contraceptive pill, scientists revealed today.
Researchers found that compounds used in HRT and the female pill could have a contraceptive effect on men when used alongside testosterone.
However the team from the University of Manchester and Leeds General Infirmary said that it could take 10 years to develop and market a male pill.
A number of trials are looking at alternatives to condoms, vasectomy and abstinence.
The latest studies, led by Professor Fred Wu, found that synthetic progestins in HRT - called tibolone and nomegestrol acetate (Noma) - suppressed the hormones that stimulate the production of sperm. Noma showed particular promise as it had no adverse metabolic effects. Other male contraceptives in production have been shown to decrease good HDL cholesterol, which protects against heart disease.
Professor Wu said it would be easy to use, "just one pill a day and a testosterone injection once a quarter".
Life & Style blogs
Miley Cyrus' VMA outfits spark copying controversy
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company produces a wide ra...
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established and expanding South...
£14000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity to join a thrivi...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped OTE: SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consulta...