January liver detoxes are 'futile' say hepatologist
Sunday 01 January 2012
Going on a New Year detox to cleanse your liver is "medically futile", health experts warned yesterday.
The British Liver Trust has criticised January detoxes, which see many people avoid alcohol after the Christmas excesses. Dr Mark Wright, a consultant hepatologist at Southampton General Hospital, said: "Detoxing for just a month is medically futile. It can lead to a false sense of security and feeds the idea that you can abuse your liver as much as you like and then sort it all with a quick fix."
Life & Style blogs
Video shows how to turn your phone into a 3D hologram
Gill Pharaoh: Healthy former nurse, 75, passes away at assisted dying clinic after deciding old age is 'awful'
Free porn websites could be shut down within months, says David Cameron
The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 1 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 2 Katie Hopkins reveals fear she will die during brain surgery to cure epilepsy
- 3 Edward Heath 'child sex abuse' allegation: Investigation to be held into Wiltshire police handling of alleged claim in the 1990s
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Tom Cruise: Reporters banned from asking actor about Scientology
£20k plus sales linked bonus. : Guru Careers: We are seeking a Copywriter to j...
£17000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has bec...
Up to £26k DOE: Guru Careers: A Junior / Mid-Level 3D Creative Designer is nee...
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You'll be joining a truly talen...