Jump in number of swine flu cases
The number of swine flu cases in England has jumped in the last week, from an estimated 3,000 to 5,000, Government figures showed today.
Chief medical officer for England Sir Liam Donaldson said the data suggested an upturn was on the way.
Experts have been predicting a second wave of swine flu will hit the UK in the winter months following a lull over the summer break.
Scotland has also seen a rise in the number of cases in the last week.
Sir Liam said: "There has been a slight upturn this week.
"We don't know whether it will be sustained but I think it's one of the few straws in the wind that we might be seeing an upturn."
There are now 143 people in hospital in England, of whom 23 are in intensive care.
The total number of deaths linked to the virus has risen by one in the last week to 67 in England.
Culinary experts in The Netherlands thought it was 'fresh' and 'tasty'
Of all the computers Apple has ever made there’s only one that Steve Jobs had to sell his car to finance
Actress sees off speculation about her face in an amazing way
Marvel has released first teaser trailer week early after it leaked online
Life & Style blogs
Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
Fake goats’ cheese found in supermarkets
Alternatives to cow’s milk can cause Vitamin D deficiency
Handy hacks that make life easier: New book reveals how to rid your inbox of spam, protect your passwords and amplify your iPhone
St Bees in Cumbria is named the best place to raise a family in the UK
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure' for paralysis
£120 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Are you a quailed Teacher ...
£40 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Are you an experience SEN Te...
£21000 - £35000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: ICT/Business Studies ...
£250 - £300 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT** Our...