Jump in number of swine flu cases
The number of swine flu cases in England has jumped in the last week, from an estimated 3,000 to 5,000, Government figures showed today.
Chief medical officer for England Sir Liam Donaldson said the data suggested an upturn was on the way.
Experts have been predicting a second wave of swine flu will hit the UK in the winter months following a lull over the summer break.
Scotland has also seen a rise in the number of cases in the last week.
Sir Liam said: "There has been a slight upturn this week.
"We don't know whether it will be sustained but I think it's one of the few straws in the wind that we might be seeing an upturn."
There are now 143 people in hospital in England, of whom 23 are in intensive care.
The total number of deaths linked to the virus has risen by one in the last week to 67 in England.
Life & Style blogs
The Swedes are adding a gender-neutral pronoun to their dictionary
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
PTSD photo series documents what the disorder is really like – as study reveals suicides of 22 US veterans every day
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
Eating quinoa and whole grains every day could help you live longer
- 1 Finland schools: Subjects scrapped and replaced with 'topics' as country reforms its education system
- 2 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 3 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 4 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
- 5 Zayn Malik quits One Direction: Hundreds of workers request compassionate leave following band member's exit
£12000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A opportunity has arisen for a ...
£32000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful accountancy practice in...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped commission: SThree: Does earning a 6 figu...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...