Jump in number of swine flu cases
The number of swine flu cases in England has jumped in the last week, from an estimated 3,000 to 5,000, Government figures showed today.
Chief medical officer for England Sir Liam Donaldson said the data suggested an upturn was on the way.
Experts have been predicting a second wave of swine flu will hit the UK in the winter months following a lull over the summer break.
Scotland has also seen a rise in the number of cases in the last week.
Sir Liam said: "There has been a slight upturn this week.
"We don't know whether it will be sustained but I think it's one of the few straws in the wind that we might be seeing an upturn."
There are now 143 people in hospital in England, of whom 23 are in intensive care.
The total number of deaths linked to the virus has risen by one in the last week to 67 in England.
Life & Style blogs
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
'Game-changing' new way to fight cancer discovered
The busiest Starbucks in the US is also the most secretive - it's where the CIA gets its coffee fix
- 1 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Front-End UI Application ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Domestic Service Only Engineers are requ...
£23600 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Employability Service withi...