Junior doctors shortage hits NHS
Sunday 02 March 2008
Doctors' leaders will this week present the Government with "compelling evidence" of a widespread shortage in their numbers.
Junior doctors are being forced to work extra hours, often unpaid, to fill gaps in rotas left by colleagues who have completed their training. Many are on maternity or long-term sick leave. The British Medical Association (BMA) says a controversial new recruitment system is largely to blame. The system creates a fixed start and end date for jobs, greatly reducing staff flexibility, says the BMA.
It warns that some hospitals have only 50 per cent of the junior doctors they need. "We are going to end up going back to junior doctors working 80 to 100-hour weeks, which will impact not only on their training and health, but also patient care," said Ram Moorthy, chairman of the BMA Junior Doctors' Committee.
The Department of Health said: "We take this issue seriously and we are talking to the NHS and to the medical profession about potential solutions."
Life & Style blogs
'Timeless fashion': It may be a paradox, but the industry loves it
The secret to a great sex life revealed: Two cups of coffee a day
New exhibition celebrates the evolution of swimwear
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Teenager tries to buy elderly homeless man breakfast at McDonald's but is told homeless people cannot be served under 'new policy'
- 1 Isis 'jihadi bride' claims forced sex with Yazidi girls is never rape because Koran condones it
- 2 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 3 Art Garfunkel calls Paul Simon a 'monster' with a Napoleon complex
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...