Junior doctors shortage hits NHS
Sunday 02 March 2008
Doctors' leaders will this week present the Government with "compelling evidence" of a widespread shortage in their numbers.
Junior doctors are being forced to work extra hours, often unpaid, to fill gaps in rotas left by colleagues who have completed their training. Many are on maternity or long-term sick leave. The British Medical Association (BMA) says a controversial new recruitment system is largely to blame. The system creates a fixed start and end date for jobs, greatly reducing staff flexibility, says the BMA.
It warns that some hospitals have only 50 per cent of the junior doctors they need. "We are going to end up going back to junior doctors working 80 to 100-hour weeks, which will impact not only on their training and health, but also patient care," said Ram Moorthy, chairman of the BMA Junior Doctors' Committee.
The Department of Health said: "We take this issue seriously and we are talking to the NHS and to the medical profession about potential solutions."
Life & Style blogs
The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
From criminal to catwalk: Convict Jeremy Meeks wins modelling contract in the most unusual fashion scouting – behind bars
Prostate cancer could actually be five different diseases, say scientists
NHS treatments such as vasectomies and hip operations to be rationed because of cost-cutting
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Australia to impose 24-hour curfew on all cats to protect endangered species
- 2 Model's video shoot on the beach interrupted by sudden landing of a group of illegal migrants
- 3 The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
- 4 MH370: Boeing 777 wing that could match missing plane found on the French island of Reunion
- 5 'Killer robots' with AI must be banned, urge Stephen Hawking, Noam Chomsky and thousands of others in open letter
£120 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: An excellent three form entry scho...
£120 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: A lovely primary school in the bor...
£11 - £18 Per Hour: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Mechanical Maint...
£65000 Per Annum bonus & benefits package: The Green Recruitment Company: The ...