Killer infection came from taps
Wednesday 25 January 2012
An infection that killed three babies at a hospital has been traced to taps in its neo-natal unit.
All the taps and connected pipes in the room at the Royal Jubilee Maternity Hospital, Belfast, are being removed as experts try to eradicate all traces of the pseudomonas bacteria, said the Northern Ireland Health Minister, Edwin Poots. Another baby is being treated after showing signs of the infection.
A different pseudomonas strain, which claimed the life of an infant at Altnagelvin Hospital in Londonderry last month, was also linked to the water system in its neo-natal unit. Mr Poots said special ultraviolet technology may be installed in hospitals to try to prevent further outbreaks.
Life & Style blogs
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Can SkySaga capture the Minecraft magic?
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Pirelli calendar 2015: First plus-size model Candice Huffine is featured alongside Adriana Lima and Natalia Vodianova in a fetish-themed shoot
- 1 'Kidnapped boy may have been abused and murdered by VIP paedophile ring,' say police
- 2 Ridley Scott on Exodus: Gods and Kings casting: 'I'm not going to get it financed if my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such'
- 3 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 4 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £Competitive: SThree: SThree Group and have be...
£50000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chief Engineer is required to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading Renewable Energy compa...
£35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Required skills include SQL querying, SSRS, u...