Lansley forced to explain 'split' on NHS
Andrew Lansley, the Health Secretary, was yesterday called to the House of Commons to explain apparent divisions within the Coalition over the Government's Health Bill.
Labour demanded that Mr Lansley explain why, if the Government was united on the health reforms, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg had written to Liberal Democrat MPs calling for further amendments to the legislation. But Mr Lansley claimed there was no disunity and said that while the amendments proposed by the Lib Dems were "significant" they were fully backed by him and the Conservatives.
In a somewhat ill-tempered session – for which Mr Lansley had been forced to cancel a speech to patient groups – two Tory backbenchers urged Mr Lansley not to "dance to the tune" of the Liberal Democrats.
Labour said Mr Clegg's letter either revealed that the legislation was in complete disarray – or it had been pre-agreed piece of choreography to "save face" for the Deputy Prime Minister.
"Either way, this House is entitled to ask: What's going on?" said Labour's Shadow Health Secretary Andy Burnham. But Mr Lansley told him he was aware of the letter and said it did not reflect a split within the coalition. "The point of the letter was to reflect the debates we've been having," he said.
Meanwhile, a committee of MPs ruled out a specific debate in the Commons of a petition signed by nearly 163,000 people calling for the Bill to be dropped.
Life & Style blogs
Resurgence of TB poses grave threat worldwide
UK branded an 'Enemy of the Internet' for the first time by Reporters Without Borders
25 years of the World Wide Web: Tim Berners-Lee explains how it all began
GIF inventor Steve Wilhite says it should be pronounced 'jif'
'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client operates within the healthcare...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a tech start up within the ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cardiff: Randstad Education are currently seeki...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cardiff: Randstad Education Cardiff are current...