Laws must 'evolve' on aided suicide
Two new Health ministers have called for an overhaul of the law on assisted suicide.
Anna Soubry, a Tory promoted in last week's reshuffle, said the legislation needed to "evolve".
Liberal Democrat Norman Lamb said that while the issue is one of "personal conscience", "there is quite a strong case now for a discussion about a reform".
It comes after Tony Nicklinson, who had locked-in syndrome, died days after losing a legal fight for a doctor to help to end his life.
Ms Soubry told The Times: "I think it's ridiculous and appalling that people have to go abroad to end their life instead of being able to end their life at home. The rules that we have about who we don't prosecute allow things to happen, but there's a good argument that we should be a bit more honest about it."
Assisted suicide carries a sentence of up to 14 years.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Life & Style blogs
Autumn Statement 2013: Car tax disc scrapped after 93 years
The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
The 50 Best Christmas Gifts for Women
Two million passwords stolen from Facebook, Twitter and Google
Flock star: A shepherd in the Lake District now has almost 20,000 Twitter followers
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
£35000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: VB.NET SQL CSS Develop...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£21000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Graduate QA/Graduate T...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: PHP Developer (MySQL, ...