Lifespan leap raises care problems
Today's 20-year-olds are twice as likely as their parents to reach the age of 100, a new analysis of Britain's rapidly ageing population reveals today.
A girl born this year has a one-in-three chance of becoming a centenarian, and a boy a one-in-four chance, the research by the Department for Work and Pensions discloses.
A girl born in 1931 had only a 5 per cent chance of reaching her century, with the figure dropping to jut 2.5 per cent for boys.
On current trends there will be half a million people aged 100 or over by the year 2066.
Steve Webb, the Pensions minister, warned that the huge advances in average lifespans meant people would need to save more for a retirement that could stretch into an 11th decade.
He said: "The dramatic speed at which life expectancy is changing means that we need to radically rethink our perceptions about our later lives. We simply can't look to our grandparents' experience of retirement as a model for our own."
Life & Style blogs
The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
'It's brusquely intimate': A bereaved daughter tackles the task of emptying her father's flat
Fenwicks department store withdraws Boy London clothing over 'Nazi' eagle logo complaints
Study suggests that 'gaydars' are real - at least for women
International Women's Day 2014: Google compiles celebratory video to mark the day
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...