Long delays for hip surgery
Thursday 02 September 2010
Elderly people with broken hips often face an "unacceptable" wait for surgery, a survey shows.
While 95 per cent of patients with a hip fracture can expect to have an operation within two days, or hours in some hospitals, others are forced to wait far longer, according to an audit by the Royal College of Surgeons.
Some NHS hospitals, including Wansbeck Hospital in Ashington, Northumberland, University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, and North Tyneside General Hospital, in North Shields, Tyne and Wear, managed to get 95 per cent or more patients through surgery within 48 hours. Others, including Charing Cross Hospital, London, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, and the Royal Victoria, Belfast, managed only about 55 per cent. Reasons given for delays included waiting for space on operating theatre lists, staff shortages, lack of empty beds and patients being unfit for surgery.
About 76,000 hip fractures are treated in the UK each year – 92 per cent of them in people over 70.
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Boxing Day sales: From Asos to Harrods, the best fashion deals
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
The 10 Best food processors
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 Top 10 travel destinations for 2015: From Haiti and Alaska to Namibia and Iceland
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)
Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing Executiv...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An international organisa...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Internal Recruiter -Rugby, Warwicksh...