Long delays for hip surgery
Thursday 02 September 2010
Elderly people with broken hips often face an "unacceptable" wait for surgery, a survey shows.
While 95 per cent of patients with a hip fracture can expect to have an operation within two days, or hours in some hospitals, others are forced to wait far longer, according to an audit by the Royal College of Surgeons.
Some NHS hospitals, including Wansbeck Hospital in Ashington, Northumberland, University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, and North Tyneside General Hospital, in North Shields, Tyne and Wear, managed to get 95 per cent or more patients through surgery within 48 hours. Others, including Charing Cross Hospital, London, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, and the Royal Victoria, Belfast, managed only about 55 per cent. Reasons given for delays included waiting for space on operating theatre lists, staff shortages, lack of empty beds and patients being unfit for surgery.
About 76,000 hip fractures are treated in the UK each year – 92 per cent of them in people over 70.
Life & Style blogs
International Kissing Day: Why it feels good
World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Kristen Stewart opens star-studded Chanel show with Julianne Moore, Rita Ora and Lily Collins on the runway
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Analyst is required ...
£16000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To succeed, you will need to ha...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join an award winni...
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...