Long shifts 'put doctors at risk'
Tired junior doctors are putting their lives in danger by driving home after long, "inhumane" shifts, delegates at a British Medical Association conference said yesterday.
Hospitals were accused of removing rest rooms and imposing rotas which mean "doctors are not always safe to drive home after night shifts". The BMA's junior doctors conference passed a motion yesterday demanding a campaign for free access to hospital accommodation and transport for doctors when they finish a night shift.
Dr Andrew Collier, deputy chairman of the BMA's junior doctor committee, said: "In the extreme, junior doctor's rotas mean they could be working up to 12 days on 14-hour night shifts."
Simon Burns, the health minister, backed the call for doctors to be given time to rest. "Safety of patients, and the doctors who treat them, is of the utmost importance in the NHS," he said.
Threat of 'catastrophic cascade of collisions' must be averted, warn scientists
Life & Style blogs
American Apparel reveals 62-year-old Jacky O’Shaughnessy as underwear model
Pakistan vs Paul Smith: Sandal-wearers bemused by famed British designer's attempts to sell traditional Peshawari chappal-style shoes for the distinctly untraditional sum of £300
Blood test that predicts Alzheimer's disease
Lego told off by 7-year-old girl for promoting gender stereotypes
Titanfall: Release date, gameplay basics, DLC and everything else you need to know
- 1 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 2 Pakistan vs Paul Smith: Sandal-wearers bemused by famed British designer's attempts to sell traditional Peshawari chappal-style shoes for the distinctly untraditional sum of £300
- 3 North Korea elections: Kim Jong-un wins 100% of the vote
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Sharknado 2: Former WWE wrestler Kurt Angle to fight second wave of flying sharks
£1000 per month: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ban...
£50000 - £57000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: Leading West End law firm is...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cardiff: Randstad Education Cardiff require a W...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Preston: Randstad Education is urgently recruit...