Long shifts 'put doctors at risk'
Tired junior doctors are putting their lives in danger by driving home after long, "inhumane" shifts, delegates at a British Medical Association conference said yesterday.
Hospitals were accused of removing rest rooms and imposing rotas which mean "doctors are not always safe to drive home after night shifts". The BMA's junior doctors conference passed a motion yesterday demanding a campaign for free access to hospital accommodation and transport for doctors when they finish a night shift.
Dr Andrew Collier, deputy chairman of the BMA's junior doctor committee, said: "In the extreme, junior doctor's rotas mean they could be working up to 12 days on 14-hour night shifts."
Simon Burns, the health minister, backed the call for doctors to be given time to rest. "Safety of patients, and the doctors who treat them, is of the utmost importance in the NHS," he said.
Newcastle manager taunted again as his side loses to Stoke
Life & Style blogs
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
France announces world’s toughest anti-smoking laws
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 3 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before a character like Homer or Lisa
- 4 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- 5 Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven
- < Previous
- Next >
NEGOTIABLE: Austen Lloyd: TRUST ACCOUNTANT - KENTIf you are a Chartered Accou...
£85 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: randstad education are curre...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Group: You must:- Speak English as a first lang...
£17000 - £18000 per annum: Randstad Education Group: If you are a committed Te...