Long shifts 'put doctors at risk'
Tired junior doctors are putting their lives in danger by driving home after long, "inhumane" shifts, delegates at a British Medical Association conference said yesterday.
Hospitals were accused of removing rest rooms and imposing rotas which mean "doctors are not always safe to drive home after night shifts". The BMA's junior doctors conference passed a motion yesterday demanding a campaign for free access to hospital accommodation and transport for doctors when they finish a night shift.
Dr Andrew Collier, deputy chairman of the BMA's junior doctor committee, said: "In the extreme, junior doctor's rotas mean they could be working up to 12 days on 14-hour night shifts."
Simon Burns, the health minister, backed the call for doctors to be given time to rest. "Safety of patients, and the doctors who treat them, is of the utmost importance in the NHS," he said.
Newcastle winger is in Argentina having chemotherapy
Actors together in Magic in the Moonlight: Woody Allen's 1920s romance
Human faces unique 'because we don't recognise each other by smell'
Man's attempt to avoid being impounded heavily criticised
Returning to the stage after 20 years makes actress feel 'nauseous'
Life & Style blogs
Victoria's Secret models star in new nude Russell James book
iPhone 6 review: bigger, thinner, faster, brighter - Apple proves you can make the best better
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
More women now play video games than men
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Grandmas keep accidentally tagging themselves as Grandmaster Flash on Facebook
- 4 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 5 Kanye West halts concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum + excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Lt...
£110 - £130 per day + D.O.E - Competitive Rates: Randstad Education Maidstone:...
This is an unpaid voluntary role.: Cancer Research UK: We need motivational vo...
£1 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Job Purpose To work closely with the he...