Lots of money is the most effective sleep remedy, new study shows
Monday 26 August 2013
How do the rich sleep at night? Very well, according to a major study of British bedtime behaviour.
A healthy pay packet is revealed today by the Sleep Council as the most important factor in getting a good night’s rest.
The poll of 5,000 adults found dividing lines based on income, with 83 per cent of people earning £75,000 or above saying they slept very well or fairly well most nights – and had never resorted to sleep remedies.
High earners were more likely to share their bed each night with a partner, but also admit to using their laptop as the last thing they do before going to bed.
At the other end of the scale, a third of unemployed people surveyed in the poll said they slept very poorly most nights. They are also far less likely to share a bed with their partners, according to The Sleep Council.
Nearly a quarter of those working in sales, media, marketing, architecture, engineering and building said they turned to alcohol to help them nod off. Those in arts and culture topped the list of late night drinkers.
Lawyers suffer the least from sleep deprivation and are in bed by 10pm, with City workers coming second.
Architects and engineers complained the most about getting too few hours in bed at night, often blaming a nap in the day for upsetting their body clock.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are the go-to company for ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the UK's leadin...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This caravan dealership are currently recruiti...