Man in critical condition as swine flu total hits 362
Wednesday 03 June 2009
A 45-year-old man has become the first in the UK to be made critically ill solely because of swine flu, health officials said yesterday.
The man, from Paisley in Scotland, was in intensive care at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Renfrewshire last night, where he joined another new critical case of the disease, a 38-year-old woman who has chronic underlying health problems. A third patient, aged 37, also with underlying health problems, remains in a critical condition in a Glasgow hospital.
Scottish Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon said there was no need for the public to be "unduly worried" as she announced the total number of confirmed swine flu cases in Scotland had increased by 23 to 65.
Ms Sturgeon said she understood concerns the public would have about the new critical cases. "But, in any flu scenario, small numbers of patients will develop complications and will require that kind of medical intervention," she said. "The fact remains that in the majority of cases, people are experiencing relatively mild symptoms."
The Health Protection Agency revealed yesterday that the total number of cases in the UK now stands at 362, with a further 282 possible cases under investigation.
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Bomber jacket worn by Mary Berry sells out within an hour
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: What you shouldn't tweet about if you want to avoid jail today
- 3 Scottish independence: Five reasons Salmond is secretly hoping for a 'No' vote
- 4 Isis plan to 'behead random member of the public' in Sydney thwarted by Australian police
- 5 Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Promising volunteer Trustee op...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is curr...
£110 - £130 per hour: Randstad Education Reading: Psychology Teacher needed fo...
£85 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: Randstad Education are curren...