McDonald's halves fries in children's Happy Meals
Wednesday 27 July 2011
McDonald's stores in the US have announced plans to halve the amount of French fries served in their Happy Meals in an attempt to make children's meals healthier.
The new-look food boxes will contain 1.1 ounces of French fries instead of the current 2.4 ounces, and children will be able to replace the chips with a side dish of fruit or vegetables depending on what is in season.
The Illinois-based fast food chain has been criticised for serving children's meals with high sugar and fat contents. It is thought these changes could prevent American children from ingesting 49 billion calories annually.
The new meals will be served in 14,000 US outlets by April next year.
Life & Style blogs
How psychopaths hide in plain sight – a psychological analysis of serial killer Dennis Rader
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
How I rescued my brain: Psychologist David Roland rewired his thoughts following a stroke
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 Muslim women's rights campaigner writes heartfelt letter to girls thinking of joining Isis
£23000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This small, friendly, proactive...
£14500 - £22800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is required to join a lea...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: A first rate opportunity to join a top ranking...