McDonald's halves fries in children's Happy Meals
Wednesday 27 July 2011
McDonald's stores in the US have announced plans to halve the amount of French fries served in their Happy Meals in an attempt to make children's meals healthier.
The new-look food boxes will contain 1.1 ounces of French fries instead of the current 2.4 ounces, and children will be able to replace the chips with a side dish of fruit or vegetables depending on what is in season.
The Illinois-based fast food chain has been criticised for serving children's meals with high sugar and fat contents. It is thought these changes could prevent American children from ingesting 49 billion calories annually.
The new meals will be served in 14,000 US outlets by April next year.
The Independent's live blog of today's Premier League action
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
£100 - £150 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS1 Supply Teacher re...
£140 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS2 Supply Teacher r...
£130 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS1 Teacher required,...
£140 - £160 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS1&2 Supply Te...