More vitamin D a day could keep glasses away
Tuesday 17 January 2012
Boosting vitamin D intake could help to prevent age-related diseases, in particular loss of vision and blindness, a study said.
Middle-aged mice treated with the vitamin for six weeks had lower levels of a toxic protein linked to age-related macular degeneration, heart disease and Alzheimer's, it was reported in the journal Neurobiology of Aging. AMD is the leading cause of blindness among people over 50 in the developed world.
Lower levels of amyloid beta in the mice's eyes and blood vessels led to significant improvement in their vision. Vitamin D treatment also reduced numbers of cells called macrophages, which play a vital role in the immune system and can also trigger inflammation.
The study adds to growing evidence linking vitamin D, naturally generated by ultraviolet rays from the sun on skin, with a diverse rage of disorders including diabetes, arthritis and some cancers.
People today are generally less exposed to vitamin D than our early ancestors.
Life & Style blogs
International Kissing Day: Why it feels good
World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Kristen Stewart opens star-studded Chanel show with Julianne Moore, Rita Ora and Lily Collins on the runway
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Analyst is required ...
£16000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To succeed, you will need to ha...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join an award winni...
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...