Morning-after pill available by phone during Games
Tuesday 03 July 2012
Women are being invited to stock up on free supplies of the morning-after pill which will be sent to them by post during the Olympics.
The British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS) has launched a service where women in London can request the pill over the phone and get it delivered free of charge to their home.
The charity says the Just in Case kit, which also includes condoms, will help women prevent unwanted pregnancy during the summer months.
The morning-after pill is most effective if taken as soon as possible after unprotected sex, preferably within 12 hours. But it can be taken for up to 72 hours after intercourse.
A BPAS spokeswoman said the kit is delivered to women once they have completed a telephone consultation with a nurse.
She said that "significant disruption" is expected in London during the 2012 Olympic Games, which could make it more difficult to access healthcare services swiftly if regular contraception fails.
Tracey Forsyth, Bpas lead contraception nurse, said: "Our Just in Case kit means you have a back-up there when you need it, wherever you happen to be.
"The sooner you take emergency contraception the more effective it is.
"If you carry an umbrella in your bag or a spare tyre in your boot no-one would suggest you are hoping for rain or planning on a puncture. Having the morning-after-pill to hand is no different. It doesn't mean you're planning on taking chances, it means you're planning on protecting yourself when things don't go according to plan."
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Rice Bucket Challenge: India's take on the Ice Bucket Challenge 'for Indian needs'
- 2 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 Rubble Bucket Challenge: Ice Bucket Challenge adapted in solidarity with Gazans whose homes have been destroyed in conflict
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Make sure you know the new rules from 1 October or risk £1,000 fine
- < Previous
- Next >
£500 - £550 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client are currently...
£50 - £55 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: SEN TAWe are looking to recrui...
£40000 Per Annum dependent on experience: The Green Recruitment Company: They ...
TBC: Test Recruiter for iJobs: Job London (Greater)