Mother dies after catching swine flu
Tuesday 03 November 2009
A woman who contracted swine flu died less than three weeks after giving birth to her first child, a health authority has confirmed.
Susan Ford, 31, from Wigan, Greater Manchester, fell ill with the virus when she was 31 weeks pregnant. Her daughter, Poppy, was delivered by Caesarean section. Ms Ford's condition failed to improve and she died at the weekend, 18 days after giving birth.
Dr Ruth Hussey, the north-west regional director of public health said last night there was a risk that pregnant women who catch the virus could develop complications.
Life & Style blogs
Men in tights: getting to the bottom of the latest trend
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Night Nurse could put drivers over new drug limit
Stephen Hawking: NHS is Britain's finest public service and must be preserved from commercial interests
Baldness could soon be treated using stem cells, scientists hope
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: Phase Co-ordinator for Foundation and Key S...
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: SEN Teacher We have a fantastic special n...
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: My client is an 11-18 all ability co-educat...
£100 - £150 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: Year 6 Teacher Birmingham Jan 2015...