Multiple births are on the increase
Thursday 07 February 2013
More than 170 sets of triplets and three quads were born to women in the UK last year amid a rise in the number of multiple births, official figures have revealed.
In 2011, 11,330 women in England and Wales gave birth to more than one baby, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said, with 172 having triplets and three quads or more. In the decade to 2011, the “multiple maternity rate” increased by 8.8 per cent, a rise attributed to an increase in IVF treatment.
Of every 1,000 women who gave birth in 2011, 16.1 women had more than one baby – up from 15.7 in 2010, the ONS said.
In 1976 the rate stood at 9.6 women out of every 1,000. The Twins and Multiple Births Association said the figures should be a “wake-up call” to maternity units.
Cathy Warwick, chief executive of the Royal College of Midwives, said: “The increase in the number of multiple maternities, especially among older women, places greater demands on maternity services, and we should be ensuring that there are enough midwives so that these women get the best possible care.”
Life & Style blogs
10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£19500 - £23500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced B2B Telemarketer wa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This global company are looking for two Showro...