Nanoparticle oral drug delivery systems show promise for biotech firm
Drug company NOD Pharmaceuticals Inc.'s application to the US Patent and Trademark office for a patent for a nanoparticle drug carrying method has been allowed, the company says.
The biotech firm specializes in developing bioadhesive nanoparticles to admister drugs orally that would normally be delivered by injection.The delivery technology can be used in administering drugs for chronic diseases, such as insulin and interferon in the treatment of diabetes, which is normally controlled by multiple daily injections. Oral delivery of the drugs would be more convenient, more effective and have less side effects and would also be more marketable, according to the company.
The technolody could also be effective for delivering oral formulations of other bioactive drugs in the treatment of kidney and bone marrow diseases (with the drug erythopeietin), the treatment of several types of leukemias and melanoma (with interferon) and for delivering human growth hormones for growth hormone disorders.
Nanoparticle drug delivery systems are one of the most promising strategies for treating many diseases, medical experts say.
"Patent allowance for NOD technology is a major step forward for NOD," said William Lee, CEO of NOD Pharmaceuticals in a statement.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...