New surgery offers pancreatic cancer hope
A London hospital has become the first in the UK to perform a new type of surgery for pancreatic cancer.
The Royal Free Hospital said the treatment could double the number of patients operated on in the UK each year. It is for those with advanced tumours that have spread to the portal vein, a major vessel into the pancreas.
Usually, this kind of cancer cannot be operated on. The new technique involves cutting out the tumour together with a segment of the portal vein and replacing it with part of the jugular vein. Kito Fusai, who performed the procedure in December with his colleague Dinesh Sharma, said it was a particularly exciting development for patients with pancreatic cancer.
He said the technique offered a whole new group of patients the opportunity of surgery for the first time. A total of about 700 patients are operated on across the UK at present. The patient operated on in December is recovering well.
Cancer Research UK estimates that, of the 7,400 people diagnosed with a pancreatic tumour each year in the UK, only about 3 per cent are still alive five years later. Symptoms include jaundice, back or abdominal pain, weight loss and loss of appetite.
The Dirty Dancing actor Patrick Swayze has the disease but his doctors say the spread is very limited.
Life & Style blogs
Kanye West's Yeezy Boost trainers: All you need to know ahead of the UK launch
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
- 1 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 2 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 3 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 4 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
- 5 Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...