NHS complaints at record levels
Thursday 26 August 2010
The number of complaints about NHS hospitals and community health services in England is at a record high, figures reveal.
In just a year the number of complaints rose from 89,139 to 101,077 – a 13.4 per cent rise and the biggest year-on-year increase since 1997/98, according to data from the NHS Information Centre.
The report showed that the highest number of complaints (44.2 per cent) related to the medical profession. The second highest proportion related to nurses, midwives and health visitors (22 per cent), while NHS administrative staff accounted for 9 per cent.
The biggest percentage of complaints related to "all aspects of clinical treatment" (42.2 per cent), followed by staff attitude (12.2 per cent), and delays or cancellations to outpatient appointments (10.6 per cent).
Katherine Murphy, from the Patients Association, said the rise in complaints was very worrying.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Common antibiotic linked to increased risk of heart disease
Karl Lagerfeld shoots Eurovision winner Conchita Wurst in suspenders for fashion shoot
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
- 4 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 5 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: UNIX Application Support Analyst-...
£50000 - £65000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Senior Application Support - Fide...
£45000 - £60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Product Specialist - (Application...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Technical Specialist - (Applicati...