NHS complaints at record levels
Thursday 26 August 2010
The number of complaints about NHS hospitals and community health services in England is at a record high, figures reveal.
In just a year the number of complaints rose from 89,139 to 101,077 – a 13.4 per cent rise and the biggest year-on-year increase since 1997/98, according to data from the NHS Information Centre.
The report showed that the highest number of complaints (44.2 per cent) related to the medical profession. The second highest proportion related to nurses, midwives and health visitors (22 per cent), while NHS administrative staff accounted for 9 per cent.
The biggest percentage of complaints related to "all aspects of clinical treatment" (42.2 per cent), followed by staff attitude (12.2 per cent), and delays or cancellations to outpatient appointments (10.6 per cent).
Katherine Murphy, from the Patients Association, said the rise in complaints was very worrying.
Life & Style blogs
What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism
The big fresh food con: Alarming truth behind the chocolate muffin that won't decay
From criminal to catwalk: Convict Jeremy Meeks wins modelling contract in the most unusual fashion scouting – behind bars
Holi: Festival of colours honoured with Google Doodle – here's what you need to know about the celebration
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 3 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 GamerGate: developer Tim Schafer provokes rage with joke about online gaming activists at industry awards
£65000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Technical Presales Engineer - central London ...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Physiotherapist / Sports Ther...
£8 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Sales Executives / Advisors are required...
£14000 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen for a...