NHS trusts fear they will run out of cash, says study
The number of NHS trusts that believe they will face severe financial pressures next year has almost doubled, according to a new report.
The study from the regulator, Monitor, found 11 hospital trusts have listed themselves with the highest or second highest financial-risk rating.
A further 10 say they will experience a high level of financial risk at some point during the year. All of these 21 trusts are specialist or acute-hospital trusts and the figure is higher than the 13 that last year predicted financial risk over the next three years.
Foundation trusts have also warned they will find it difficult to keep waiting times low, with the pledge for patients to be treated within 18 weeks of a referral by their GP posing a particular challenge.
Sixteen foundation trusts have declared a risk of not achieving the target for admitted patients and four for non-admitted patients. The sector is also forecasting 14 failures against the A&E four-hour wait target.
Life & Style blogs
Imagination Quotient tests could lead to smartphone app that boosts your creativity
Ghosting: what to do if you've been a victim
Plus-size clothing: Top fashion brands are finally offering sizes and designs for the fuller-figured
Asexuality: when life isn't all about sex
Twitter deletes plagiarised jokes for 'copyright infringement'
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
- 3 Mers outbreak: Manchester Royal Infirmary A&E closes over suspected cases
- 4 Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive is required t...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: £20000 - £25000 per annum + c...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a number ...
£15000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you want to work for an exci...