Now 7,000 more women drawn into toxic breast implant scandal
Standfirst in 15pt Mexican border town notorious for its vicious Name Names
Jeremy Laurance is a writer on health issues. He is former health editor of The Independent and the i and has covered the specialism for more than 20 years. He thinks the harm medicine does is under-appreciated, the harm it prevents over-rated, and that cycling works better than most drugs. He was named Specialist Journalist of the Year in the 2011 British Press Awards.
Friday 16 March 2012
Up to 7,000 more women than previously thought may have been fitted with potentially defective PIP breast implants in the UK, the Department of Health announced yesterday.
It brings to 47,000 the total number of women who are thought to be at risk from non-medical grade silicone used in their manufacture.
There are fears the substandard silicone, intended for use in mattresses, could lead to increased rupture rates, causing inflammation and injury. But official advice in the UK is that there is no evidence rupture rates are higher than with other implants.
The additional women were identified after investigations that indicated the French company at the centre of the scandal, Poly Implant Prothese (PIP), may have been using non-medical grade silicone in its products for longer than suspected. The French authorities had originally suggested that only implants made since 2001 were affected. But after inquiries by the UK regulator, the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, the French authorities admitted implants made before 2001 were also suspect.
Simultaneous announcements about the new threat were made in Britain and Holland yesterday, but it is understood no announcement was made in France.
According to the Department of Health, about one in five breast implants routinely need replacing within 10 years, regardless of their make. It is therefore unlikely that all 7,000 extra women still have the implants in place. In January, an expert group led by the NHS medical director Sir Bruce Keogh advised that there was no need for women to seek routine removal of the implants, which would require them to have a risky operation.
But it said women who were concerned could seek an appointment with their GP and, if they were not reassured, could have them removed.
Private clinics were told they had a "moral duty" to remove implants they had placed, but the Health Department said where they refused, or the clinics had closed, women could seek treatment on the NHS. So far, GPs have referred for NHS care, including a scan, 4,534 women who were treated privately; 224 of those women have opted to have their implants removed.
Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said: "I want to reassure those affected by the news today that they will be provided with all the help they need from the NHS."
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for sale...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 The Hobbit: There and Back Again set for possible title change
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Andre Johnson: Wu-Tang Clan-discovered rapper severed his penis and jumped from LA building
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...