Number of heroin and crack addicts falls by 10,000
Friday 07 October 2011
The number of heroin and crack addicts in England needing treatment fell by almost 10,000 over the last two years, new figures have revealed.
The National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse (NTA) said the number of people addicted to the class-A drugs fell from 62,963 in 2008-09 to 52,933 last year. The numbers accessing treatment for all drugs also fell for the second year running.
The data also showed the number of drug users who have been treated successfully and are getting their lives back on track rose by almost a fifth last year. Paul Hayes, the NTA's chief executive, said the figures showed that "recovery is now becoming a reality for more individuals each year".
"The fact the next generation are getting the message that hard drugs wreak damage to individuals and communities is very positive," he said.
Life & Style blogs
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
Londoners agree to give up first-born child in exchange for free internet
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
FireChat: The internet-free messaging app that's sweeping the world
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- < Previous
- Next >
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE NQ to MID LEVEL - An e...
Highly Attractive Pakage: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - A highly attractive oppor...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (Campaigns, Offlin...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...