Number of heroin and crack addicts falls by 10,000
Friday 07 October 2011
The number of heroin and crack addicts in England needing treatment fell by almost 10,000 over the last two years, new figures have revealed.
The National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse (NTA) said the number of people addicted to the class-A drugs fell from 62,963 in 2008-09 to 52,933 last year. The numbers accessing treatment for all drugs also fell for the second year running.
The data also showed the number of drug users who have been treated successfully and are getting their lives back on track rose by almost a fifth last year. Paul Hayes, the NTA's chief executive, said the figures showed that "recovery is now becoming a reality for more individuals each year".
"The fact the next generation are getting the message that hard drugs wreak damage to individuals and communities is very positive," he said.
Life & Style blogs
Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
Watching TV after work makes you feel 'guilty and like a failure'
NHS medics are being lured away to Australia by more money, status and sunshine, survey suggests
Xiaomi Mi4: 'Chinese Apple' launches flagship mobile to challenge iPhone
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 1 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 2 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 3 Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 4 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - Senior Employment Solici...
£600 - £650 per day: Orgtel: Conduct Risk Liaison Manager - Banking - London -...
Highly Attractive Package: Austen Lloyd: CITY - COMMERCIAL LITIGATION - GLOBAL...
£65000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: The client is a...