Number of heroin and crack addicts falls by 10,000
Friday 07 October 2011
The number of heroin and crack addicts in England needing treatment fell by almost 10,000 over the last two years, new figures have revealed.
The National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse (NTA) said the number of people addicted to the class-A drugs fell from 62,963 in 2008-09 to 52,933 last year. The numbers accessing treatment for all drugs also fell for the second year running.
The data also showed the number of drug users who have been treated successfully and are getting their lives back on track rose by almost a fifth last year. Paul Hayes, the NTA's chief executive, said the figures showed that "recovery is now becoming a reality for more individuals each year".
"The fact the next generation are getting the message that hard drugs wreak damage to individuals and communities is very positive," he said.
Life & Style blogs
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
More than two thirds of smokers are killed by diseases caused by tobacco use, says study
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 2 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 3 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 The jihadi girls who went to Syria weren't just radicalised by Isis — they were groomed
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...