Nursing numbers a third lower on elderly wards
Tuesday 20 March 2012
Hospital wards caring for elderly patients have up to a third fewer nurses working on them than other wards, research suggests.
A survey of almost 1,700 nurses for the Royal College of Nursing found staffing levels on older people's wards was significantly lower than those for other specialties and general medical admissions.
Overall, wards for elderly patients had one registered nurse for every 9.5 patients compared with an average of one for every 6.7 patients. One third of the nurses questioned said the staffing shortages meant they were unable to help patients eat and drink.
The RCN said it was calling on the Government to implement a patient guarantee, setting out the minimum number of nurses on older people's wards. But Dean Royles, director of NHS Employers, which represents hospital managers, said mandatory staffing levels was not the answer.
Life & Style blogs
DNA hope on schizophrenia: Research breakthrough points at over 100 genes
Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
Man takes most pointless Uber cab ride of all time
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
- 3 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
£45000 - £50000 Per Annum 23 days holiday plus Pension scheme: Clearwater Peop...
£23000 - £25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Technician (1st/2nd line support)...
£85 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Preston: Randstad Education are urgentl...
£85 - £110 per day: Randstad Education Preston: Randstad Education is urgently...