Opt-out on organ donation planned
Tuesday 14 February 2012
Wales is looking to become the first UK country to introduce an opt-out scheme for organ donation – where a patient is considered to have given consent for their organs to be used unless they have made it clear they do not – after a report cast doubt on whether the current system could meet growing demand.
The British Medical Association yesterday said other options included restarting hearts, using more organs from elderly people and hearts from babies who have no chance of survival.
The Welsh Health Minister, Lesley Griffiths, said: "The Welsh Govern-ment is committed to increasing the numbers of organs available by introducing a soft opt-out system."
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Working closely with the market...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A reputable company, famed for ...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged by a highly resp...