Opt-out on organ donation planned
Tuesday 14 February 2012
Wales is looking to become the first UK country to introduce an opt-out scheme for organ donation – where a patient is considered to have given consent for their organs to be used unless they have made it clear they do not – after a report cast doubt on whether the current system could meet growing demand.
The British Medical Association yesterday said other options included restarting hearts, using more organs from elderly people and hearts from babies who have no chance of survival.
The Welsh Health Minister, Lesley Griffiths, said: "The Welsh Govern-ment is committed to increasing the numbers of organs available by introducing a soft opt-out system."
Life & Style blogs
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Man to be beheaded in Saudi Arabia after ripping up a Koran and hitting it with his shoe
- 3 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...