Organ donation via DVLA
Sunday 31 July 2011
Anyone applying for a driving licence online will have to answer questions about organ donation, in the Government's latest bid to boost numbers on the organ donor register.
From tomorrow, would-be motorists will have to tick one of three boxes about joining the NHS Organ Donor Register before completing their application on the DVLA website.
The scheme, launched by the Public Health minister, Anne Milton, will expand on an existing DVLA scheme that has seen more than 8.5 million people sign up. It is hoped the "prompted choice" system will double the percentage of those choosing to join when applying for a licence. There are about one million new sign-ups to the organ donor register every year in the UK, with half coming through the DVLA.
A successful trial in Illinois in the US has shown a rise of people registering, from 38 to 60 per cent, since 2008.
Life & Style blogs
Should doctors and patients learn to plan humane, happier endings rather than trying to prolong life?
Black Friday: Best beauty deals
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Black Friday: best UK tech deals on iPads, Macs, PS4 and more
Black Friday: From Bicester Village to Amazon, best fashion deals
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
£30k - 38k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: An award-winning consume...
£40k - 45k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...
£30k - 35k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: We’re currently re...
£35k - 45k per year + benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...