Plague victim to lose fingers
Friday 20 July 2012
A man who spent a month in intensive care after contracting bubonic plague from a cat bite should be well enough to leave hospital within weeks, his family says.
Paul Gaylord, 59, from Oregon, was bitten while trying to take a rodent from the mouth of his cat. As a result of the rare infection – the "Black Death" that ravaged Europe during the Middle Ages – his fingers and some toes turned black and he is expected to lose them.
Life & Style blogs
Penis size study: what's 'normal' anyway?
What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
Penis size: is there a correlation with sexual satisfaction? A scientific look
From criminal to catwalk: Convict Jeremy Meeks wins modelling contract in the most unusual fashion scouting – behind bars
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This firm are focussed on assis...
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: A vacancy has arisen for a General Processor ...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A great opportunity has arisen ...
£14000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Full time and Part time positio...