Plague victim to lose fingers
Friday 20 July 2012
A man who spent a month in intensive care after contracting bubonic plague from a cat bite should be well enough to leave hospital within weeks, his family says.
Paul Gaylord, 59, from Oregon, was bitten while trying to take a rodent from the mouth of his cat. As a result of the rare infection – the "Black Death" that ravaged Europe during the Middle Ages – his fingers and some toes turned black and he is expected to lose them.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...