'Playboy' pin-ups are becoming more boyish
Friday 20 December 2002
Despite the growing prevalence of cosmetic enhancement, the female form idealised in men's magazines is becoming less curvaceous and increasingly androgynous, a study of nearly 50 years of Playboy models has shown.
Researchers at the University of Vienna compared the measurements of all 577 Playboy centrefolds, beginning with Marilyn Monroe in December 1953, who measured 37-23-36, to those of Miss December 2001. They took the height, weight and figure measurements of the models to calculate a body-mass index, ratios for waist and hip, and bust and waist, and an "androgyny" index.
The study, in this week's British Medical Journal, showed that over the years, the bust and hip sizes of models decreased and waist sizes increased. Many health workers believe today's increasingly slimmer images of woman may increase the incidence of eating disorders among girls.
Life & Style blogs
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
More than two thirds of smokers are killed by diseases caused by tobacco use, says study
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...