'Playboy' pin-ups are becoming more boyish
Friday 20 December 2002
Despite the growing prevalence of cosmetic enhancement, the female form idealised in men's magazines is becoming less curvaceous and increasingly androgynous, a study of nearly 50 years of Playboy models has shown.
Researchers at the University of Vienna compared the measurements of all 577 Playboy centrefolds, beginning with Marilyn Monroe in December 1953, who measured 37-23-36, to those of Miss December 2001. They took the height, weight and figure measurements of the models to calculate a body-mass index, ratios for waist and hip, and bust and waist, and an "androgyny" index.
The study, in this week's British Medical Journal, showed that over the years, the bust and hip sizes of models decreased and waist sizes increased. Many health workers believe today's increasingly slimmer images of woman may increase the incidence of eating disorders among girls.
Life & Style blogs
The Evil Within preview: a survival horror fan’s best worst nightmare
Porn film production likely to stop in Los Angeles after actor tests positive for HIV
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
iPhone 6 'release date' firmed up in leaked photos of Apple smartphone
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
- < Previous
- Next >
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: HAMPSHIRE MARKET TOWN - A highly attr...
£35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Network Engineer (CCNP, CCNA, Linux, OSPF,...
Highly Attractive Package: Austen Lloyd: A VERY HIGH QUALITY FIRM A high qual...
£50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: DevOps Engineer (Systems Administration, L...