Pregnancy is 'biggest teenage killer worldwide'
Pregnancy is the biggest killer of teenage girls worldwide, a charity has said.
Every year one million teenage girls die or are injured because of pregnancy or childbirth, according to Save the Children.
In a new report, the children's charity warns that girls under 15 are five times more likely to die in pregnancy than women in their 20s.
More than 25,000 girls under 18 are married every day, according to the report. Many quickly fall pregnant before their bodies have sufficiently developed.
"The issue of children having children - and dying because their bodies are too immature to deliver the baby - is a global scandal," said Save the Children's chief executive Justin Forsyth.
"This is a tragedy not just for those girls but also for their children - babies are 60% more likely to die if their mother is under 18.
"In the developing world, family planning isn't just a lifestyle choice. Children's lives depend on it."
The report also found that around the world, one in five girls are teenage mothers - having given birth to a child by the time they are 18.
Next month a family planning summit is to be held in London to discuss increasing the global availability of contraceptives and to empower women so they have more choices about sex.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...