Private patients who use NHS cost £1bn a year
Wednesday 07 November 2012
Almost £1bn a year is being forfeited by the NHS because hospitals are spending their cash treating patients with private medical insurance who could pay for their care.
Nearly one in three patients receiving NHS hospital treatment is privately insured and could have the cost paid for by their insurer, claims a study. But patients do not claim on their insurance because they may be afraid it will increase their premium, or they may have to pay an excess charge, or their GP may omit to ask them if they are insured.
Keith Biddlestone at HCA International, which owns six private hospitals in London and commissioned the study, said: "Many patients choose to move between private and NHS care, but these figures show just how much private medical insurers rely on the NHS to maintain profitability."
The report, by private health analysts Laing and Buisson, estimates 250,000 operations are performed on patients with private medical insurance a year at a cost of £359m.
Life & Style blogs
Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year, says study
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 3 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 4 Motorists taunt suicidal woman on bridge and tell her to 'get on with it'
- 5 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...