Quangos may go, but not their work
Friday 15 October 2010
The health service has been in an apparently permanent state of revolution for years, so the changes were met with weary resignation rather than anger.
Of the 37 quangos which come under the remit of the Department of Health, 28 are to be abolished as independent entities. It does not mean they will disappear, rather they will be subsumed back into other parts of the NHS. Thus the Human Genetics Commission, which advises ministers on the scientific and moral implications of genetic advances, re-emerges phoenix-like as a Department of Health Committee of Experts.
Likewise, the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, which regulates IVF treatment, will seen its functions and staff split across three or other bodies.
For many workers the shake-up had more than touch of déjà vu. One body earmarked for closure is the Health Protection Agency, which has existed for only seven years since its predecessor, the Public Health Laboratory Service, was abolished in a similar bonfire.
Life & Style blogs
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
Alzheimer's breakthrough: Scientists may have found potential cause of the disease in the behaviour of immune cells - giving new hope to millions
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...