Quangos may go, but not their work
Friday 15 October 2010
The health service has been in an apparently permanent state of revolution for years, so the changes were met with weary resignation rather than anger.
Of the 37 quangos which come under the remit of the Department of Health, 28 are to be abolished as independent entities. It does not mean they will disappear, rather they will be subsumed back into other parts of the NHS. Thus the Human Genetics Commission, which advises ministers on the scientific and moral implications of genetic advances, re-emerges phoenix-like as a Department of Health Committee of Experts.
Likewise, the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, which regulates IVF treatment, will seen its functions and staff split across three or other bodies.
For many workers the shake-up had more than touch of déjà vu. One body earmarked for closure is the Health Protection Agency, which has existed for only seven years since its predecessor, the Public Health Laboratory Service, was abolished in a similar bonfire.
Life & Style blogs
Eight-year-old boy Zion Harvey says of double hand transplant – 'it feels weird, but good'
The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
Prostate cancer could actually be five different diseases, say scientists
NHS treatments such as vasectomies and hip operations to be rationed because of cost-cutting
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Australia to impose 24-hour curfew on all cats to protect endangered species
- 2 Model's video shoot on the beach interrupted by sudden landing of a group of illegal migrants
- 3 The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 MH370 search: Boeing 777 wing that could match missing plane found on the French island of Reunion
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Edinburgh city centre Scho...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250...
£17900 - £20300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An enthusiastic Marketing Assis...
£24000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This contract caterer is proud ...