Right-to-die suicide letter angry at MP's 'cowardice'
Thursday 08 December 2011
A British woman who travelled to Switzerland to die has condemned the "cowardice of politicians" which forced her to spend her last hours away from home.
Geraldine McClelland, 61, a former BBC producer who was diagnosed with lung and liver cancer, said she was relieved she would not be forced to suffer any longer, and said her dying wish was for people to talk about her death.
In a letter published just hours after her death at the Dignitas clinic in Zurich yesterday, Ms McClelland, from west London, said she was not sad, but "angry that because of the cowardice of our politicians I can't die in the country I was born in".
"I would like to be able to choose to take medication to end my life if my suffering becomes unbearable for me, with my family and friends around me," she wrote. She urged readers of the letter not to feel sad for her, but to "turn it into a fight to change the law so that other people don't have to travel abroad to die".
Assisted suicide remains a criminal offence in England and Wales, punishable by up to 14 years in prison.
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
GTA 5: Christmas arrives in Los Santos as update brings snowball fights, festive jumpers and a homing missile launcher
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
Christmas 2014: Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 4 Northern Lights above Britain: Stunning Aurora Borealis illuminates Northumberland sky on Christmas Eve
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This full service social media ...
£24000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Senior Conveyancer - South West We are see...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: DORSET MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...