Sabotage suspected as Nurofen packs are recalled
The makers of Nurofen Plus recalled the tablets last night and confirmed sabotage was suspected in packets of the painkillers.
There have been five reported cases of other manufacturers' medicines found in boxes of Nurofen Plus after a safety alert on Thursday.
A spokesman for the manufacturer Reckitt Benckiser said: "Sabotage is suspected and we are working with the police on a formal investigation to find the person or persons responsible." Distribution of Nurofen Plus has been halted for the time being, he said.
Investigators are trying to establish how the packs came to contain strips of a potentially harmful drug. Three packs of Nurofen Plus were found to contain blister packs of the anti-psychotic medicine Seroquel XL 50mg. They were bought in Victoria, Bromley and Beckenham.
Yesterday, two more packets were found; one contained Seroquel XL 50mg tablets and the other contained the Pfizer product Neurontin 100mg capsules.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...