Scandal-ridden NHS trust to be broken up
Wednesday 16 January 2013
The NHS trust at the centre of the worst health service scandal in more than a decade has no future, an NHS regulator has concluded.
Mid-Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust is likely to be broken up and its two hospitals with 344 beds partially closed or handed to new management, despite local opposition. It became synonymous with poor care after an independent inquiry in 2009 found patients had suffered appalling neglect.
Monitor, the regulator of foundation trusts, said the trust was providing safe care today but would not be able to continue doing so in the future, as it was "not clinically sustainable" and "cannot break even".
Life & Style blogs
'Timeless fashion': It may be a paradox, but the industry loves it
The secret to a great sex life revealed: Two cups of coffee a day
New exhibition celebrates the evolution of swimwear
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Teenager tries to buy elderly homeless man breakfast at McDonald's but is told homeless people cannot be served under 'new policy'
- 1 Isis 'jihadi bride' claims forced sex with Yazidi girls is never rape because Koran condones it
- 2 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 3 Art Garfunkel calls Paul Simon a 'monster' with a Napoleon complex
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...