Search for stem cell donor succeeds after online campaign
Mike Brandon's fiancée set up the #Shake4Mike campaign to encourage people to join a stem cell and bone marrow register
A potentially life-saving donor has been found for the man whose fiancée launched an online campaign to raise awareness of his plight.
Mike Brandon, 29, who was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia in March last year, is set to have the stem cell transplant in June. Kate Robertson, 31, set up the #Shake4Mike campaign in May this year to encourage people to join blood cancer charity Anthony Nolan’s stem cell and bone marrow register.
“It is fantastic news and we are very happy,” Ms Robertson, 31, told The Independent. “The next phase is daunting – but this is still fantastic news. If we didn’t have a donor, things would be horrendous.”
The couple were told Mr Brandon would need a stem cell transplant by the end of June if he was to stand any chance of survival.
Following the launch of the campaign, Anthony Nolan saw a 650 per cent increase in people applying to join their life-saving register.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...