Search for stem cell donor succeeds after online campaign
Mike Brandon's fiancée set up the #Shake4Mike campaign to encourage people to join a stem cell and bone marrow register
A potentially life-saving donor has been found for the man whose fiancée launched an online campaign to raise awareness of his plight.
Mike Brandon, 29, who was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia in March last year, is set to have the stem cell transplant in June. Kate Robertson, 31, set up the #Shake4Mike campaign in May this year to encourage people to join blood cancer charity Anthony Nolan’s stem cell and bone marrow register.
“It is fantastic news and we are very happy,” Ms Robertson, 31, told The Independent. “The next phase is daunting – but this is still fantastic news. If we didn’t have a donor, things would be horrendous.”
The couple were told Mr Brandon would need a stem cell transplant by the end of June if he was to stand any chance of survival.
Following the launch of the campaign, Anthony Nolan saw a 650 per cent increase in people applying to join their life-saving register.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
£35000 - £50000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior QA Engineer (Agil...
£26000 - £28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Digital Marketing Executive (SEO, PP...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our retail client ...
£400 - £450 Per Annum possibly more for the right candidate: Clearwater People...