Search for stem cell donor succeeds after online campaign
Mike Brandon's fiancée set up the #Shake4Mike campaign to encourage people to join a stem cell and bone marrow register
A potentially life-saving donor has been found for the man whose fiancée launched an online campaign to raise awareness of his plight.
Mike Brandon, 29, who was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia in March last year, is set to have the stem cell transplant in June. Kate Robertson, 31, set up the #Shake4Mike campaign in May this year to encourage people to join blood cancer charity Anthony Nolan’s stem cell and bone marrow register.
“It is fantastic news and we are very happy,” Ms Robertson, 31, told The Independent. “The next phase is daunting – but this is still fantastic news. If we didn’t have a donor, things would be horrendous.”
The couple were told Mr Brandon would need a stem cell transplant by the end of June if he was to stand any chance of survival.
Following the launch of the campaign, Anthony Nolan saw a 650 per cent increase in people applying to join their life-saving register.
Life & Style blogs
Miley Cyrus' VMA outfits spark copying controversy
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 2 President Obama comments on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
£35000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In 2014, they launched the worl...
£23958 - £29282 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the North West's leading...
£22 - £25k basic + Commission=OTE £35k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Bathroom Sh...
£21000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This provider of children's ser...